"The devil has no power over us only as we permit him."-Joseph Smith
*
"The youth of this generation have a greater capacity for obedience than any previous generation." - Neal A. Maxwell
*
"God has reserved spirits for this dispensation who have the courage and determination to face the world and all the powers of the evil one, visible and invisible, to proclaim the gospel and maintain the truth and establish and build up the Zion of our God, fearless of all consequences. He has sent these spirits in this generation to lay the foundation of Zion, never more to be overthrow and to raise up a seed that will be righteous and honor God and honor Him supremely and be obedient to Him in all circumstances."- George Q. Cannon
*
"To be circled about eternally in the arms of His love will be a real-not a virtual-experience." -Elder Bednar
*
Elder Bednar gave a stellar talk in the CES fireside. He talked a lot about the use of technology being a way for Satan (who does not have a body) to be able to control ours and limits us from forming meaningful physical relationships and serving others by leading us to "misuse and minimize the importance of our physical body." He then posed two questions that I think can really help us decide how to use our time when on the computer, and that I will start asking myself when I do. #1- Does the use of various technologies and media invite or impede the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost in your life? #2- Does the time you spend using various technologies and media enlarge or restrict your capacity to live, to love and to serve in meaningful ways?
I know most of us do not have any harmful or addictive behavior when it comes to using the computer and technology, but I loved the insight he brought and I am thankful for that perspective.
Where can I get a copy of Elder Bednar's talk?
ReplyDeleteCongrats on graduating. I got your announcement! I have a card for you. I will send it to your mom's. I am SO proud of you! You are amazing. Truly, amazing.
ReplyDeleteYou can go online and listen to his talk just off of the main page at lds.org. I am not sure where you can go to get a copy though.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Thanks Sister Hill!
I loved that talk too... It really made me re-evaluate my life and set some goals of where I want to go.
ReplyDeletep.s. I never told you how much it meant to me when I saw you at Tucanos that one day. You are such a kindred spirit.
That was very insightful!! Thanks for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteyes super good fireside...we watched on TV....never thought of some of those things...still confused on virtual games???
ReplyDelete