Sunday, June 7, 2009

lessons learned from teaching.

I have realized that when I was a missionary teaching the gospel and when I am teaching now, that is when I am truly myself. I am animated and have a passion for life that you probably wouldn't have guessed. It's pretty cool to realize how much the Gospel of Jesus Christ really effects me.
.
.
I sort of do things a little different in my classroom, too. I teach in a loving way, but I am strict. I expect a lot out of my missionaries and they know they can only give their best. I also don't think writing things down or doing worksheets is really going to help a missionary learn a language. I have tried to develop other methods to learn, and it has really become a passion of mine to help people love a language that is difficult to speak. Anyways, when learning a language like Portuguese, you eventually come to the dreaded "Por and Para". Both mean "for"...but a lot of other things too. Everyone dreads por and para! It's just so hard to know when to use what. So in my class, I treat it like it is the coolest thing ever and that it is so much fun. Immediately, they learn it without creating that "i hate por and para" mindset that I developed in middle school Spanish. I explain to them a list of about 16 different meanings for por and para. Afterwards, I have them use this list to make a song that can only include these 16 things. Without realizing it, they have ingrained in their mind when to use each and they LOVE it! At the end of the week, we have a little talent show. When I review the grammar with them, they now refer to the song and can tell me without flaws when they should use por or para. Because of this, they gain a confidence in speaking and teaching the most important thing in the world. Not bad.

Now this video, I give them all the credit, especially Elder Brock. They amaze me. They are so talented! I love these Elders so much!

3 comments:

  1. cool! I still get them confused..great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha love it...elder brock is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. i almost cried...never has a silly song to remember a language touched me so much.

    ReplyDelete