With this move, there were some things I had set my expectations a little too high for and some I prepared for the worst. I understood things would be very different from what I would expect and I knew I needed to be okay with that. So, it is so wonderful when things exceed those expectations. Things like:
1. The Pew's. I didn't even know how much I would interact with the missionaries here, but the senior couple, The Pew's have taken me under their wings and have helped that empty lonely part in my heart feel more full. It is just so comforting to have someone, you know? They call me, text me, provide connections, make treats, have taken me to lunch and have driven me to the temple as well as provided a much needed taxi and luggage storage service. :) They have literally been an answer to many prayers and I don't know if I could ever thank them enough or explain how thankful I have been for them.
2. Sophia. I had originally reached out to her because she lived in Manchester and we had mutual friends on Facebook. I asked her if she knew of anywhere to live months ago, and she responded that we should live together because her roommate was moving. After having met her, I was even more excited to live with her because she is so kind, caring, fun and genuine. I'm thankful for the opportunity to live with her!
3. Cinthya and Doris. When I didn't have a place to stay, Sophia reached out to some girls in the ward and Cinthya offered for me to stay at her apartment with both her and her mom. Her mom makes me porridge ever morning (guys, did you know porridge is just a fancy word for oatmeal?! I am so illiterate with British terms it is embarrassing). They let me sleep in their living room on their couch and have been so hospitable. What was going to be one day has turned into a week. I am so thankful for such a kind and loving home to stay at and a ward with wonderful members. The bishop seems so kind as well.
4. The missionaries. Like I had mentioned, I had no idea what missionary work was like or how much I would be involved in it here. My expectations have been exceeded because I feel a renewed desire to do missionary work. Seeing how much people need hope in their lives as I walk the streets every day makes my desire to share the gospel of Jesus Christ increase. The missionaries have been very active in asking for my help and getting to know me and I am thankful for that. It is so cool how many opportunities I have had to talk about my beliefs.
5. My program. The professors and students in my course all seem great. I met them all today and I am excited to work with them.
6. The weather. Everyone talks about how horrible the weather usually is and how weird it is that it hasn't rained the whole time I have been here. All I have to say is THANK YOU!!! I'll take it.
6. The weather. Everyone talks about how horrible the weather usually is and how weird it is that it hasn't rained the whole time I have been here. All I have to say is THANK YOU!!! I'll take it.
There are so many ways my expectations have been surpassed this past week and for that I am so grateful. There will always be the many ways I need to adjust my expectations and many times I have wanted to just pack up and move home because it has been a struggle as well. BUT, one truth that I have learned is the reality of God's love. That is the one thing I can ALWAYS rely on. I can always know He cares, He loves me and He will help me. I can think of no greater power, no greater help or no greater reality.
xxx,
Emily

What wonderful people! Glad they are helping you! I see you on skype all the time and have wanted to call but wasn't sure if it was you or if it was just left on at your parents? Miss you!
ReplyDeleteCrystal, yes I am on skype! I haven't seen you on, so you must be on invisible. If I don't answer when you call, I will call back when I can!
ReplyDeleteLook at you turning lemons into chocolate cake :) proud of you.
ReplyDeleteOh I am just reading all these posts that answer a lot of my questions in the email I sent! Your pictures are beautiful. I can't believe you're the RS Pres as well as doing school! You go girl! And you can TOTALLY do it! I think about ya a lot, and will definitely be emailing more now that I have internet :)
ReplyDelete