Sunday, March 8, 2015

thirty!

I still can't believe it. 30! Thirty.

I'd be lying if I said I was excited for this birthday. It was difficult and overwhelming to think I would be leaving my 20's behind and I had a little secret internal struggle. But, like the good God He is...I had a thought come into my mind the night before that changed my attitude. I believe it was from Him.

I was thinking to myself, "This is a day and I get to choose to be happy. I get to choose what I would like to do! What brings me the most joy? (Easy answer: my family and loved ones)." This chain of thoughts prompted me to write letters to the people that have influenced my life and mean so much to me. All morning I wrote, I cried, I said prayers of gratitude for all these amazing people in my life. By the afternoon, I was on cloud 9. I felt like the most blessed person in the world and I realized how un-alone I really was. It was a heavenly morning and I am so thankful for that experience.

Another blessing came in the form of incredible, selfless people around me. I felt weird asking people to celebrate with me or announcing a birthday, so I didn't. However, these kind thoughtful friends made the day unforgettable. It was so humbling to see all they did to make me feel special!


Woke up to this...what's going on?

Anna did all this for me! The sweetest, most thoughtful gifts, flowers,
cupcakes, banners, the funniest handmade card and a balloon.
SO CUTE!!! I have the best roommate!

Jessica lives in the last area I served in. She's the sweetest
friend and skyped me while she opened her mission call!
Best morning, ever! (PORTUGAL LISBOA!!!)

My brother's family called too. I got to FaceTime with this little cutie. She was saying my name, running around and
talking up a storm. I love these moments!

In the afternoon, Jessica and Thafera met me at the newly restored Whitworth Art Gallery. These girls are so so busy, but made such an effort to help me have a fun day.

Jessica and Thafera

These large beautiful windows in the museum were like a canvas and perhaps my
favorite pieces. I thought it was pretty ironic that here I was looking at beautiful art
indoor while the most beautiful was the unsolicited view.
Obligatory art gallery photo



In front of the museum

Later that night, Jessica, Thafera, Alejandra and I went to go see the Theory of Everything. It was a really good movie. Jessica, knowing I loved pastries and creamy things, surprised me with cream puffs she made from scratch. These were the most heavenly tasting things. From scratch, people! It must have taken forever. She is such a wonderful, loving example.

After the movie, we met up for dinner at Jamie Oliver's Italian and Anna and Carol joined us (along with Thafera's roommate, Min). The restaurant is in a beautiful building in the heart of Manchester. They sang to me, we ate delicious food, and I ate more cream puffs!


Anna, min, Thafera, Ale, Jess, Carol, Me

Spoiled with the most wonderful gifts!

Saturday morning, we went to the cafe in the gallery (seriously, this new gallery is wonderful!) with Sister Pew. It was such a wonderful morning chatting and catching up with Ella, Sister Pew and Anna. Ella also knew how much I love French Macarons so she made the most beautiful and delicious rose and vanilla flavored macarons I have ever tasted. I think this birthday inspired me to start baking more! ;) Such talented girls.




What a great day! I am beyond grateful for the kind, selfless people that helped it be so memorable. 30 is not so bad, after all. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment