Friday, January 23, 2009

what is YOUR dream?

This Saturday we are planning our European getaway! I am so excited! If you travelled to Europe, what would you do? Where would you go? I'm not really concerned with time or money (since we will be working and staying there for months), I'm just looking for some fabulous ideas!

Countries I definitely want to see:
1. Great Britain (Staying on Guernsey on the Channel Islands would allow a weekend ferry to the surrounding countries).
2. Ireland (Ever since my brother was there I have always wanted to visit).
3. Scotland (enchanting....don't you think?)
4. France (I don't think stopping in the airport or flying over the Eiffel Tower counts as visiting...)
5. Netherlands (I've never been!)
6. Italy (I love Italian culture, Italian is my favorite type of food...and it is soo romantic!)
7. Spain (Where I always thought I would end up some day. I know...random).
8. Portugal and Madeira (It is just a part of me. I ache for it. Look at the picture above...who wouldn't!)

Help me out here!

9 comments:

  1. Emily I love your blog. You're always so upbeat. =D What the heck are you going to Europe for?? I am so jealous!! How long will you be there? Funny, I've always been drawn to Spain as well. For the Italia portion of your trip, I would highly reccommend Florence. It's my favorite Tuscan city. (If you take the 7 bus all the way to the end of the line, you'll end up by an old catholic cathedral. The monks there sing in the cathedral's basement every Wednesday after 5:00 PM. Plus, there is a great view of the city, complete with a replica of the David. You can't miss it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey darling! My favorite city that I visited in Europe was Copenhagen, hands down. The church that has the original Christus is there, and in case you didn't know the artist that sculpted the Christus sculpted 12 matching statues of the apostles that are in the same cathedral. Also, the royal jewels and castles there are awesome. There is SO much to see and do there---I was there 4 days and hit the city from 8 am to midnight and still didn't see half of what I wanted to. Be sure to join the Youth Hostel International organization so you can stay in the hostels, they are significantly cheeper--around 8 Euros a night with the membership. Scope that out online. Generally speaking at most Youth Hostels you can also pay a little more to get a private room--well worth it.
    And with Florence--it is marvelous, and you can also pay to see the original David in a museum. I loved Pisa, that was my personal favorite. Naturally-I'm going to say Germany's awesome, and if you want info on that, just let me know. :o) AMO TE!! PS--this is under my mom's name because I don't blog. Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will never forgive yourself if you pass by Switzerland! It's clean, quaint and beautiful! Plus, you get a little bit of Italy, Germany and France all in one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous25.1.09

    Emily, what is this? I thought you were just going for a vacation?! You're working there now? I'm confused. Anyways, you must, must, must go to Paris, and Italy all the way. I agree with the Switzerland comment too, I was only in Geneva but it's the cleanest city you'll ever visit, a bit pricey though. My friends who traveled all of Europe said Greece was their favorite place. Honestly, London wasn't my favorite place, the food wasn't good and I spent more in like three days there than a couple of weeks in France, bad exhange rate, but overall, I'd have to say you should just come to New Zealand and hang out with me : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. alrighty, so...so far I have some from you all that sound fabulous...Florence (oohhh, Melissa, you are talking to a humanities major! what could be better than a tuscan city with a replica of the David!? THANK YOU!) Copenhagen, Switzerland, and...NEW ZEALAND! *ju-ju...that one might just have to wait until your wedding* :)

    any more?? what is there to see in France? I feel just visiting in the city would make me miss out the beautiful french countryside, but would it be worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Germany is a beautiful country, if you like greenery and beautiful cities. I've only been to Bavaria (the southern part), but I absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a little town called Rye, England. Wonderful place. ALso, Chawton, Englad is a darling town where you can see the home of Jane Austin where all her wonderful works were written. Of course, while in England, don't you need to run on the moors and see the Bronte's home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, One of my favorite places in the world is Salzburg. You can see the setting for the "Sound of Music", Mozart's birthplace, the salt mines, and so many beautiful surrounding areas. I love Bertschesgarden, The Eagles Nest and Garmisch also! Interlachen Switerland and the temple! Rhotenburg Germany! Munich! Luxembourg where the military cemetary is in Hamm is one of the most reverent and spiritual experiences you can imagine. I will love to live this experience through you! have fun for me too!
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your european get away...without me? That wasn't part of the plan!! :) I guess plans change.....ha ha ha Are you really going? With who? Can you fit me and a baby in your suitcase? I am a little larger know.....:) Love your face1

    ReplyDelete