Monday, September 20, 2010

hawaii. (the best things in life aren't things).

{a day at the beach}

{so many fish!}

{stopping by to say hi to Jack}

Maybe I have told you before, (or maybe I haven't) but I feel like one of my life's callings is to see the world.


Not the tourist type of seeing the world, but maybe an observer. Meeting people and understanding who they are. Where they come from. Or just someone that helps. As I understand the beauty of each child of God and what makes us so different, I feel my heart grows a little, and for this I am thankful.


This little trip to Hawaii was another opportunity I had to do this and was poorly documented with photos. (what was I thinking?) Even though I didn't really get artsy with photography, I had an incredible glimpse into that saying that, "The best things in life aren't things."


I've come to the conclusion that the best things in life are the feelings that our soul feels. You know, that deep down feeling of joy that just makes us feel alive. Maybe that is why heaven must be so great.

So without further adieu, here are some of those deep down-in-the-soul with joy type of feelings from Hawaii.


I loved the feeling as the wind blew through my hair driving up the coast on Kamehameha. I felt that my soul was flying faster than I was driving. It was so beautiful on the east coast. Not the ritzy type of Waikiki glamour, but the humble and natural beauty of the island.

I loved that my heart naturally felt for my loved ones back home when I saw something that reminded me of them. Traveling around the world teaches me about the beauty and depth of love.


I loved the water! I loved being submerged in the ocean...and then from a distance hearing the dolphins. Ever since I was little, a dolphin has been my favorite animal. As I saw the dolphins get closer and closer, my heart got happier and happier. That type of childhood joy was priceless. It was incredible to swim so close to the pod of dolphins.

{a little baby dolphin with it's mom. It was so cute!}

I loved being giddy with excitement as I talked and took pictures with some cute guys. It took me back to the days of having ridiculous crushes, like when I was 10 I asked for a picture of B.H. (the quarterback on my uncle's football team) and when I got a signed picture, I cried. Okay, so this time I didn't cry, but I sure loved all the little crushes. ;)


I loved the feeling of accomplishment. I was the first person in our surf class to catch a wave, and I caught it in my first attempt. I'm no pro and don't really have any technique but doing something hard was worth it (even worth the burn that has given me a perma ankle strap mark to this day).



{Crushing on Christian}

I loved the feeling of the soothing water after jumping off of Manawili Falls. It was cool and refreshing after the hot muddy hike, and jumping felt so adventurous. (haha even though it was 10-15 feet). Seriously one of the coolest hikes I have been on.


I loved tasting the food. The flavors in Hawaii were so bold and delicious. The fruit, the Thai, Vietnamese, Samoan and Hawaiian food, and oh-my-goodness the Hawaiian Shaved Ice. I was in a dream. I don't know how many times I said, "Oh, this....this has got to be on the menu in heaven."


I loved the feeling of the Spirit touching my heart. We went on a tour at the Polynesian Cultural Center, which included the temple. The sister missionaries were so cute and sweet and I listened in awe as they unabashedly shared some of the most beautiful testimonies I have heard of what they knew to be true. Even though I've already heard all the things they said, as I listened along side with people truly hearing a powerful testimony of the true gospel of Jesus Christ for the first time, it stirred something deep within me and once again, I knew without a doubt that what they were saying was true. My soul was feeling it and relating to it.





Oh, what a priceless adventure. I am so thankful I could share it with so many of my loved ones. I am so thankful for this life. And for the joys that our Heavenly Father gives us that awakens our souls.


3 comments:

  1. loved the post! Beautiful pics! Looks like you did a ton and had a blast! way to catch the first wave....never done it...looks hard...you must be buff

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps love your crushes! makes me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! YOu are a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete