Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas and end of the Semester

Where has the time gone?! I can't believe my first semester and Christmas has already come and gone. I have had such a beautiful season. I think of this time of my life and I know it is one I will always look back on with so much gratitude. Both for the people around me and for Heavenly Father allowing me so many wonderful experiences and blessing me with so many amazing people in my life.

Here's some pictures of the past month...

 Group project with our Professor Admos Chimhowu

 Sophia's Annual Acoustic Christmas/Christmas Sweater Party

 I love the Christmas Markets (Mainly for the food!)

 The cute Old Wellington Pub at Christmastime is so pretty

 Dinner with Anna and Cinthya

 Christmas Festivities with Jessica and Alejandra!

 My beautiful Christmas Tree!


For Christmas, I spent it with the Berry Family in Lincolnshire. It was perfect. I took a train to Grimsby Town and Sophia's dad picked me up! We went back to her house in a little village called North Willingham, went on a beautiful bike ride to the castle and stopped at a cute thatched roof pub in Tealby, had a DELICIOUS dinner cooked by her dad, had a talent show in which I sang Jingle Bells accompanied by Hamish playing the Ukulele,  had a nativity message, we watched movies and played games, they generously gave me some wonderful gifts, we ate some more amazing food, I got to hold the baby so much!, I spoke with friends and family, slept better than I have in months, went to a Pantomime, saw more of the English countryside, saw SNOW! and was driven home. I can't even describe how amazing it was and how grateful I am to the Berry family for their love, generosity and their example. Their home and family felt like a refuge and I feel so incredibly thankful I was there. 

 Views from the train. No filter!

 Views from the train. Beautiful green rolling hills, sheep, and beautiful sky. Ahhh! I could have been on the train all day!

 This cute little pub, The Kings Head Inn, was open in the small village of Tealby on Christmas Eve. We stopped in for some hot chocolate. So cute!

 Christmas dinner was to die for! My new favorite food is baked parsnips glazed in maple. Such a delicious meal! The Christmas crackers were so fancy, too! You pop them with the person next to you holding onto the other side. Inside they have a crown and jokes and a prize. We also had Christmas pudding- Sophia's dad prepared it in August. It has breads and dried fruits and all sorts of spices in it. The further in advance it is prepared, the better it tastes. We ate it with cream and it was really good.

 The lovely Berry Family- Dawn, Dominic, Sophia, Victoria, Andrew, Hamish and Harry

 FaceTime with my family. Kate said, "Hi Emmie!" First time she has said my name!!!

 Talent show- Hamish and I preforming an amazing rendition of Jingle Bells.

 After a beautiful drive through the Peak District, we went to a traditional Pantomime play in Buxton. It was like an interactive child's play where the audience yells things like, "Boo!!!" when the villain comes out, one of the characters is always a comedic man dressed as a woman, the sing songs and it was just so much fun!


This picture absolutely melts my heart. Look at Hamish looking at me! Ah, I just love that kid!

And if it wasn't an amazing enough time, to finish such a perfect Christmas break, it snowed! I didn't think I would see snow here and I was so happy I did!


1 comment:

  1. Heavenly! My ancestors are practically all from England and this post is so magical. My mom makes pudding (bottles it) every Thanksgiving. It's a tradition handed down through the generations. We eat it with rum sauce. It's my favorite. Carrot pudding and apple pudding. I am so happy for you, Emily. I thoroughly enjoy reading of your adventures. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete