Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Infinite Atonement.

The Infinite Atonement by Elder Tad Callister is an amazing book. I have been reading it for years (literally) partially because I stop and think about what I have read so much and also because I probably don't want to be done reading it. It's just full of amazing little gems...like this one speaking of the Savior in Gethsemane and on the cross:

"First, following the harrowing Garden experience the Savior underwent a night of scourging, mocking, and taunting that left him exhausted and abandoned. In the Garden he could draw upon his full physical, emotional, and mental faculties to face the torrential barrage of pain thrust upon him. When he entered the garden, he was at his "best". An angel came to his side with the express mission of "strengthening him" (Luke 22:43) But now, while stretched out upon the cross, his physical and emotional reservoirs were rapidly dissipating. His life-giving substance had already ebbed from every pore. He had been scourged, spat upon, and smitten. The sleepless hours were taking their toll on his temporal frame. one of the Twelve had betrayed him. Another had denied him. The increasing onslaught of pain would find him devoid of mortal or divine comfort. Every temporal and heavenly resource was being methodically stripped and withdrawn from him until nothing was left but selfless love and the commitment to atone."

Before this quote, it discussed the unfathomable magnitude of suffering in gethsemane, so don't misunderstand that this simply looks past that. However, I think that in addition to gethsemane in which " no man, nor set of men, nor all men put together, ever suffered what the Redeemer suffered in the Garden" it is incredible and leaves me completely dumbfounded when I think what he then had to suffer after gethsemane.



I know so little, but for what I do know and what I am continuing to learn, I feel an increasing need to apply this priceless gift He has given to my life more and more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment