 |
My view as I'm typing this.
Alexandria Park |
I can't explain it, but I think life goes by faster the more you enjoy it. Is that possible?! Here I am, left wondering where this year has gone and wishing life would just slow down so I can enjoy this chapter just a little bit longer.
When I was younger, my dad bought a ski boat and took the family out on the lake. I was so excited to finally learn how to water ski! As I slipped the skis onto my feet and jumped into the murky water, my dad and brother told me it was super easy and helped me feel confident I would catch on quick. The only piece of advice I remember receiving was, "whatever you do, just don't let go of the rope."
I decided I would follow that advice no matter what, especially because I could feel the fish swimming up against my legs. As my dad revved the boat up and as soon as we were moving, the weight of the skis (that proved to be a few sizes too big), momentum of the boat, and my complete lack of muscle pulled my legs behind me and the skis slipped right off.
"Whatever you do, don't let go of the rope," echoed in my mind as I was being pulled along and swallowing what felt like gallons of water. I didn't want to be left behind with those gross fish! It took a few seconds for my dad to realize I was being dragged behind the boat and would not let go (and those few seconds felt like a lifetime).
Anyways...I'm alive and well, have not waterskied since, and it now gives my family something to laugh about.
The reason I tell that story is because I can't tell you how many times this year I have felt like I have figuratively been dragged by a speeding boat, swallowing water, having gross fish brush up against my legs and just basically holding on for dear life. Whenever I feel like I'm in too deep, I can picture little Emily holding on to that rope and popping up and down across the waves.
It has sure been a challenging year. Whether it be with the stresses of graduate school, being in a foreign country or learning how to serve others when I felt I needed some help myself, it has been hard. But it has also been one of the happiest and best years of my life. I have had so many enjoyable moments and made so many wonderful friends. I have seen the Lord's hand, seen the blessings of following promptings, have felt his love for others and have felt his love for me as I have been taken care of by so many of you that have listened to promptings (I don't doubt that for a second. I mean, just hearing experiences of people praying for me is the most humbling thing ever. Knowing that so many of you have supported me and have been so selfless to help me brings me to tears).
I don't know where life will take me next. It is so uncertain to me. Yet, I know this is where I was supposed to be. He helped me get here, so I know he must have a plan.
So until I have life figured out, I think I will just try my best to enjoy it.
Here are a few things I have done lately to enjoy life...
 |
One of the things that I absolutely LOVE about my program is they really
want the students to have a positive experience. They pay for outings,
we go party with our professors and overall become really close to
the people we study with. A few weeks ago, they paid a driver to take
our course to the Lake District (about 2.5 hours north) and a beautiful place
called Keswick (pronounced Kessick). We hiked a trail called Catbells,
which is a little over 4 miles. |
 |
Yasushi, Larry and me. The wind was intense!
Nerdy pic of me...and I love it because I remember laughing so hard. |
 |
| Larry, Yas, Jess, me, Thafera, Ale (and Huyen taking the picture) |
 |
| The views were unreal. I stopped every two seconds to take a picture. |
 |
| The disadvantage of shorter layers, a ponytail and wind. |
 |
| Ale and I |
 |
| "I've mastered the master's" picture. |
 |
| Larry, Huyen and I. |
And some other random pics from the last few weeks...
 |
| Saying goodbye to Karen at the MTC! |
 |
Ella is the sweetest. She is always so generous and always giving.
I found this pastry after a long day. LOVE HER! |
 |
| Tearing down the UofM bridge! It's gone now... :( |
 |
| I found oompa loompas |
 |
I wish I had a house that had these amazing bricks.
I LOVE the old houses here. |
 |
Aaahhhh.... Archie's. About $12 for a small burger,
fries and a shake. The Bollywood shake is good though and
keeps me going back. |
 |
Flowers on campus. I have so many pictures of flowers on my phone
it's embarrassing. |
 |
I love how wildflowers are everywhere you go. I wish Utah
had more of that! |
No comments:
Post a Comment