Monday, August 3, 2015

Surprise! ...and what I've been up to.

In April, David received his mission call. I knew I would not see him before he left and I had already accepted that fact. However, as time went on it became more difficult and I felt more uneasy about it. I was so emotional and torn. I felt strongly I needed to be there so I prayed about it and decided to fly home and surprise everyone. Steven, Whitney and my mom were the only ones who had any idea I would be there. My mom was getting so excited leading up to the surprise, it was so much fun to have her in on it. 

I filmed a video a few days before hanging out at the church with friends and sent it to them as I was traveling. I think that really threw everyone off! ;) When I arrived, everyone was beyond shocked! Sarah and Karen cried and everyone was speechless. It was the largest surprise I have ever done and so worth it. Such a wonderful memory. 

What I didn't know when I bought the ticket was how much I needed to be there with my family. I was able to be there for David's farewell, Father's Day, Karen to receive her mission call, Karen going to the temple for the first time, going to the temple with both of them, my cousin's wedding, and a fun family staycation. It was priceless time with everyone together for the last time in a long time as Jonathan will be leaving on his mission next year.

I am so thankful I had the feeling to go. I didn't know Karen would be leaving before I returned back to Utah in September. I'm thankful for inspiration.
The family on Father's Day and David's Farewell

Karen going to the temple
Had such a great time hanging out with them!
My dad is super into bowling lately. Here's David
trying to get as close as possible without him noticing. :)
We went downtown for a staycation. We went out to Happy Sumo and Sarah got
a delicious Gourmandise cake to celebrate David's birthday before he left.
Beautiful night at the Bee's game with my favorite people!
Such a fun time with the people I love!
Kate LOVES big crowds! She had a blast!
We all stayed in the towers at Little America. So much fun!
While there, Karen opened her mission call! Nampa Idaho is so lucky to have her!
The next day we went to Pineview Reservoir. We rented a few jet skis and a big
blowup trampoline, slide and launch pad. It was a really fun day enjoying
everyone's company. Thanks, mom and dad!
Out at breakfast before dropping David off at the MTC.
The family picture at the Provo Temple before dropping David off (Steven smiling
for the picture on the phone in David's hand) ;)
We went to my cousin Jeff's wedding. It was beautifully decorated, the food was
delicious and it was fun to be with family.
Happy 4th of July! We are lucky enough that we have awesome
neighbors that put on an amazing show each year and we can
watch from home!

It was difficult leaving and coming home, especially saying goodbye to Karen, but I am so excited for the wonderful experiences ahead of her. I have already seen so much growth in David and I am so proud of him. 

Now it is time to focus on the dissertation. I have been overwhelmed with it but I signed up for it and I didn't expect a master's degree to be easy! I am trying my hardest to enjoy this last month I have here.

Some memorable happenings over the past month: 
- Got stuck in the middle of a traffic jam caused by the Manchester nude bike ride! Seriously stuck facing the oncoming bikers. I'm still recovering.
- Sang my first song(s) at a karaoke bar. This is a check off the bucket list! First song was Nicki Minaj "Super Bass"... second song was requested that I sing "A Whole New World". I think I need to redeem myself after that night.
- We had a bridal shower for Dace before she moved to Germany to get married. Wow, I'm quite proud of all the marriages we have had in our ward this year!
- Rachel had us over for her graduation BBQ in Oldham. It was fun to have food and friends! Katie made the most amazing pavlova. That may be my new favorite!
- I had a game night with some of my besties (Thafera, Alejandra, Jessica and her husband Kevin). I brought treats from America and stuff to make s'mores per Ale's request! It was so much fun!
-Kellie from IDPM hosted a night at her house for our Development Management group. It was great seeing everyone!
-A temple trip with the Relief Society Presidency (LOVE THEM!)
-A fun night out on the Curry Mile after institute.

Helen's Wedding!
The British are very serious about doing cheers. And British Mormons are
especially serious about Schloer. It is the weird tasting equivalent to Martinelli's.
Essential at a Mormon wedding!
I was asked to be a bridesmaid at Sunny and Bang's wedding. Bang treats her
like a queen and they were so polite and respectful they didn't even kiss when
it was time! He gave her a sweet kiss on the cheek. It was a beautiful, sweet day.

I can't believe I only have a month left!

No comments:

Post a Comment