Friday, December 2, 2011

a few insights.

This post is sort of long if you follow all the links, but I promise you that you will not regret it one bit.  Give yourself some time, or just save the links because they are so worth it.


1. I just finished reading a book called The Giver.  How I missed this book growing up, I do not know.  However, it had such a beautiful message that was a great reminder to me.

In it, the main character Jonas lived in an ideal society. No pain, no sorrow, no imperfections. With the lack of these things that also meant the lack of joy, happiness and memories.

It was such a beautiful reminder to me of the joys that life brings.  Those joys are worth the sorrows and the pain.  It made me thankful for my experiences and my memories.  Even though sometimes it is hard, we should treasure all of this because it is such a wonderful blessing.



2. I listened to a talk on the Speeches Website given by President Monson at BYU on November 1, 2011. It is about being an example.  This has been something I have been thinking about a lot because it is so easy to get lazy and I don't want to be.  It is so easy to feel weak.  However, like a young man in my ward said when he bore his testimony last month, "We have to be the strong ones.  So many people don't believe any more. So many people are walking away from their beliefs.  We have to be the strong ones. We can't let that happen to us." I started thinking a lot about what he said. All of the sudden I was given a perspective that I hadn't quite had.  I have to do what I don't feel like doing sometimes.  I can't let my actions become separate from what I believe. I have to be strong.  Because if I don't, then what am I doing?  A quote that I really liked from President Monson's talk was:

"You are more than what you are. Remember." -President Monson quoting the Lion King

He also spoke a lot about asking God to know what was true.  You don't have to rely upon what other people say. You don't have to believe what you are expected to believe. God is all-knowing and he can help you come to your own conclusion. Good talk.


3. Kinda going along with that, I watched a short film this week.  How often do we settle for the person the "world"* would make us out to be? (P.S. How does the "world"define or even know who you are or what you can become?) Sadly, we sometimes let other people's negative based expectations shape and mold us, curbing and limiting our potential. If we let go of those, there is no telling how much we would be able to acheive. This short film was beautiful. I am sure there are so many other lessons I could get from it. Watch HERE. And if you really like it, the main actor is an inspirational speaker and has a ton of incredible YouTube videos.









*I used the word "world" meaning outside influences or trends that don't fully understand the spirit or soul inside of you.

3 comments:

  1. There are two companion books, Gathering Blue and The Messenger, both are great as well. Glad you read it, it blew my mind when I was in 5th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Giver. I just read Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt. It was a good book too. Not as profound as The Giver, but great words of wisdom and an awesome story. I love it when you come across a book you just love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have tuned out in 5th grade! I will definitely put those other books on my reading list! thanks!

    ReplyDelete