Thursday, April 29, 2010

The 5 Love Languages.

So awhile back, a friend had me take the 5 languages of love test.

It's an awesome book/concept that I learned about 4 years ago from one of my companions, and I am posting this because it has really helped me understand communication and I hope it does for you, too.

Everyone gives and responds to love differently. Some people may feel they have to buy things, and some people may feel a hug will suffice. Just because you don't receive love the way you want it, does not mean that someone isn't giving their love to you in the way they relate the best to.

For example, I had a boyfriend that loved to write me little love notes. Another showed how they felt through physical touch. Another guy loved to give gifts. Another went for sentimental/thoughtful actions. Everyone expressed themselves differently, based on what they themselves responded the best to.

The 5 different categories that this book gives are: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service and Physical Touch.

I think the way to effectively show love in any relationship (family or friends) is being able to notice which of the 5 love languages a person responds to best. Once you are able to understand, show them the love they respond to best, more frequently than your natural tendency to show the love that you respond to best. Married people, correct me if I'm way off the mark, but this is effective. Don't get me wrong. It's not playing a game or anything superficial, just understanding and putting the other persons needs before your own.

My love language: Words of Affirmation.



(get this rad #1 Dad trophy here)


It completely made my day today when I got a message from my dad. Something so simple touched me so deep.

"Hi, Emily. It's dad. I just wanted to see how you are doing. I love you and hope to hear back from you soon. "

It meant so much to me.

Little things like this have reaffirmed to me that I don't necessarily need big gifts or the spot light.
All I need are words of affirmation.
compliments.
loyalty.
respect.
honest communication.
knowing that I am thought of.

On the contrary, I remember one time I felt the opposite of all of those things, and to this day my heart still hurts from it. That just shows how important one of those 5 things can be in the way someone communicates with others.


My question to you...What Love Language are you???
(so that I can be sure to use it ! )


you can take the Love Language test HERE.

LOVE YOU!!!

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I needed a reminder. My hubby is physical touch...aren't most men? Anyway, with kids sometimes I am too busy doing homework, cooking and cleaning at the same time to give him a welcome home from work kiss.

    Thanks for the gentle reminder that I need to!

    You are awesome Emily. I am sorry someone hurt you that bad. I know how you feel. It happened to me about 3 years ago. It still hurts and I am afraid to get too close to new people in my life now. Being hurt stinks.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jordan and I took this a while back but he doesnt like it because he thinks he is a little of all of them...he was more service and words of affirmation and I was words of affirmation and physical touch. I say both because they were tied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the test. I received a 10 in Acts of Service and a 9 in Words of Affirmation. It was interesting and I am not surprised by the answer. I am going to have my family take it now. It is true that everyone is different and I may need to make some adjustments in how I show love. You are a very beautiful person. I appreciate your insights. Thank you for sharing.
    Love, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1st Acts of Service
    2nd is a tie: Quality Time and Words of Affirmation.


    Thanks for the idea and the link Em!

    ReplyDelete