There was this one time, I was a missionary in Texas. I loved it there.
Before, I never quite understood the whole Don't Mess With Texas mantra or why Texans always had a flag somewhere (main wall, belt buckle, car or anywhere else extremely visible). After all, I have never considered hanging and flying an over sized Utah flag on anything but a flagpole! What was the big deal about Texas???
And then, I went there. I lived in a little town named Joshua.
Miles of country divided by a double-wide every few minutes.
It was so hot, tar would stick to your tires.
That contagious accent I was speaking even though I never spoke with an accent in my life.
Blue bell and brisket.
A bishop's counselor that lived in a barn and crickets chirping in the chapel.
and everyone we would speak to believed in Jesus.
There was a 90 year old lady named Babina that would drive us around through the countryside until I threw up as the Texas air swooshed through the car.
Oh Texas.
It sure taught me a lot.
One of my lessons, and the whole point of all this, had to do with that Texas air.
Never before in my life had I experienced allergies like I did in Texas.
I couldn't function sometimes.
I felt like Hitch after he ate the seafood.
They say there is a lot of pollen in the Texas air.
Whatever it was, was sure tough to handle. It was so tough at times, I wondered if I was even cut out for this mission business.
So, as soon as I figured out I had allergies, we got some allergy medication. I would work as hard as I could, but when we were driving around, I was completely knocked out.
The medication was helping a little bit, but I was still miserable.
I decided to pray. "Heavenly Father, what can I do?" I pleaded. The answer I got was pretty interesting. Stop taking the medication. So going against all rational thoughts, I stopped taking the medication. Heavenly Father sure knows what he was talking about, because as soon as I stopped, I was fine. The allergies were gone. Heavenly Father sure taught me that he listens. He also taught me that he answers.
So that was my little story. However, now every spring I have BIG TIME issues. Allergies galore, leaving me trying to find what I need to be doing about it. Hence the title. Medicine doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me.
Any suggestions?
Ohhhhhh, Em, how I feel your pain. I've tried ever kind of medication: claratin, zyrtec, clarinex, allegra, dimetane, benadryl, everything. None of it works. The only thing that even makes a dent in my allergies and makes me functional is keeping a constant TRIPLE dose of zyrtec in my system at all times. It is miserable!
ReplyDeleteThe most helpful things for me are taking showers often (especially at night), washing my bedding at least weekly, and staying inside on windy or particularly pollen-y days (http://www.pollen.com/allergy-forecast.asp). Let me know if you find some magical cure I haven't found yet. I feel for you, Em.
remember my sneezing on the madeira? funny times...i am not sure either good luck
ReplyDeleteeating local honey?
ReplyDeletelizzie-let's be miserable inside...together. did you ever get that movie back from your neighbor?
ReplyDeletecrystal-oh do i.... :) i think i miss carrying around the rolls of toiletpaper the most.
em-i didn't think of that! I asked my mom about it after you put that and I will be getting some soon!
thanks for the input!