Friday, May 15, 2015

Ireland.

The past few weeks have been full of traveling. It has been nice to have a break from writing and to do some of the things I have been wanting to do while in Europe.

At the end of April, I met my friend Lizzie in Ireland. Our other friend Eric lives and works there and was a wonderful host. His company has him living in a literal penthouse overlooking Dublin (and ironically overlooking the hostel I stayed in last time I visited Dublin). Lizzie and I had a lot of fun there!

During the days, we walked around Dublin, enjoyed the parks and the beautiful sights. We met Eric's friend Fernando, a Brazilian MBA student at the Trinity College. He let us in the library and to see the book of Kells for free. I thought that was amazing, but the next day he totally outdid himself. In the Trinity College library, they have a first edition copy of the Book of Mormon. He received access for all of us to look at it, hold it, and read from the pages. It was such an amazing experience! Thank you, Fernando!



We also went to go see the sun set over Dublin at Killeny Hill. It was such a beautiful night! All around Ireland the beautiful yellow flowers that smelled like coconuts decorated the hills. I fell in love with Ireland all over again.

 After the sunset, we went with Eric and Stephen to a pub called Oliver Saint Gogartys in the temple bar district to see traditional Irish dancing and hear some good old Irish music (it happens every night at 9 pm). It was so much fun! Stephen (on the left) was baptized not too long ago and was introduced to the church by watching a family on YouTube called the Shaytards. This family seriously has no idea how much they are influencing the lives of people over here. Two of my closest friends were also baptized by watching this same family on YouTube.


For the weekend, we took off with Eric and his friend Nathan to the other side of Ireland and to explore around the Dingle Peninsula. This place is heaven. It was my favorite place before and it still is. We played and ran around on the beach laughing like little kids. We got the most delicious ice cream from Murphy's Ice Cream in Dingle made from the salt of the sea. We saw the beautiful countryside, stayed at the cutest B&B, and visited the Cliffs of Moher.




Overall, it was a wonderful trip. Each time I have gone to Ireland, I picture my brother as a missionary there and I think it is one of the reasons it has been so special to me. I love this place. 

1 comment:

  1. Emily
    I know the Shaytards. They are from my home town. I went to school with Shays younger sister Carlie. What a small world. They are really nice people. It looks like you are having a great time

    ReplyDelete