Sunday, August 18, 2013

30 Days: Day 15- 42.

Tonight I watched 42. I loved it. It is about Jackie Robinson being the first black member of the National Baseball League. When he joined he was the only black player of 400 in the league. What a brave and bold move! I think something like that must have taken so much courage, not only for himself, but for his family, teammates, and those around him.

I contemplated how it would be to live in fear that people may hurt your family because of the color of your skin. I thought how hard it would be to be treated as if you weren't a human. It would have felt so degrading to be segregated. It would have been difficult for me to see my children treated differently or even worse, to start believing they weren't as important. I really cannot see how people believed darker skin color changed the value of a soul or the character and contribution of a human being. 

I am thankful for the brave people like Jackie Robinson, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and others that understood their personal sacrifice could help change views. I wish they could see how far the world has come now.

It seems as if there is still segregation and discrimination that needs to be dispelled within both black and white communities. Would I be brave enough to bridge the gap when I see it in my own life? 

I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment