Sunday, August 25, 2013

30 Days: Day 22- Lessons From Being a Niece

Today I met up with my brothers, uncle and cousins to go to a football game. My uncle is a great coach in Idaho and came down for the weekend to watch some teams they will be playing. It was so fun to hang out with them all.  

As soon as I got there, my uncle gave me a hug and started asking about my life. He showed genuine interest and conversed with me throughout the whole game, even though he was there to watch. I have an other uncle that does the same, shows he cares and shows genuine interest. It is the same way with a few of my favorite aunts. They pay attention and they make me feel important.

Their example has taught me how I need to be with children. I'm going to be honest and say that a lot of kids are easy for me to tune out. Unless it is my nephew, I don't really feel a need to be around kids too much. But, when I think of the example of my uncles and aunts that have really made me feel valued and special, I think that my attitude of children needs to change. 

If I can be a listening ear and not just the grouchy adult telling kids to stop running, I think I may be able to help some sweet little kids feel important. I think it is important for me to slow down, and not just talk with the grown ups. It is good to listen and not just do the things that I deem worthy of my time, but to do what is worthy of a child's time and imagination. I know I don't have my own children, but I am around enough of my friends children or even my younger siblings to see where this could be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment