Coping (v.) Dealing successfully with a difficult problem or situation.
I find this definition so interesting. Is it normal to feel success during the process of "coping"? Coping usually feels like you are barely getting by. I love how positive this word is defined!
The past 3 months have been difficult coping with the loss of my grandma. At the drop of a hat, tears come and a pain resurfaces that has not quite left. I was talking to someone the other day, and when people say, “It gets easier over time” it is frustrating, because it hurts and will always hurt when you really miss and love someone. It does not get "easier", I think people just learn how to cope better. Don’t get me wrong. There is a lot of laughter and joy in my family. We are not depressed and dwelling in pain all day long. We are happy. But we miss her. A lot.
The hardest part for me though is to see my mom and her sisters. They have lost their mother and there is something so tragic about that. I frequently come home to find my mom and her sister crying together. I wish that I could comfort or help. I hope people don’t misunderstand and interpret this sorrow as a lack of faith. I firmly believe that I will see my loved ones again, but missing them and hurting from the distance comes naturally. I am thankful though for the doctrine taught in the LDS church. I could not imagine living without that comfort of knowing what happens after this life. I have never been able to figure out why it is that I have such a difficult time with death when I have the knowledge that I have. But I do know that Heavenly Father helps us cope- giving ways to successfully overcome the sorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment