Saturday, August 31, 2013

30 Days: Day 29- Let Go

If you know me well enough, you will know I plan well, am organized, and over-analyze in an effort to be in control.  If you were to take this test, I am a #1, The Reformer. The rational, idealistic type: Principled, Purposeful, Self-Controlled and Perfectionistic.

Let me tell you, I know that this is how I am down to the core, but last night I had a really cool experience that helped me see how nice it is to set the need to have control aside and just enjoy life. 

Around midnight, I found myself in a car, spontaneously driving out of state, looking up through a sunroof. We were far from the city lights and for the first time in what felt like years, I could see the stars splashed across the night sky like a beautiful painting. The wind was blowing, the stars were shining, and I was at peace with life. At that moment, just for fun, we each selected a random piece of advice, and this is what I pulled out of the stack, "Let Go. You don't need to always be in control. Once you learn how to let go, God will be able to do things so much better than you could yourself." It was perfect. Here I was, being completely spontaneous, and feeling like I didn't need to have the answers or be in control over the outcomes. It was a sense of relief that I could just enjoy life and not worry so much about the details. 

The fact of the matter is that God is in control. We can do what is right and what He directs us to do, but we can also let Him be in control. Enjoy the ride and don't feel like you need all the answers. He knows the outcomes of life so much better than we do and knows what will bring us the most joy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment